Founded in 1946, TTU has a passion for challenging students
academically and encouraging them to grow in their faith.
Tennessee Temple University
Ph.D. in Leadership
Dear Prospective Student,
It is with excitement and pleasure that we are able to inform you about Tennessee Temple University’s new Ph.D. in Leadership. The program combines faculty-mentored, individualized learning in a student’s professional area of interest with a challenging interdisciplinary core curriculum that focuses on leading various types of organizations. At the heart of study will be the student’s own practice in professional life. Our goal is to educate professionals from a wide range of fields and in a variety of positions to be effective and principled leaders and change agents, reflective practitioners, and engaged researchers. We have high aspirations and hope you do as well.
As a potential applicant to this program, you share our spirit for adventure. Like all things new, we will be creating and evaluating systems and procedures as we go, encountering expected and, of course, unexpected challenges each day. It will take a special kind of individual, as student, faculty, staff, and administrator, to accept that we may not have all the answers. In fact, students will have an important role to play in helping us locate the questions and in working with us to find the right answers. Our guiding principle will always be to focus on student learning, on challenging our students to achieve the most they can as scholars, researchers, and practitioners.
This program offers multiple entry points in July, August, October, January, March, and May.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Ph.D. in Leadership Program Office if you have any questions or need additional information. Email PhD@tntemple.edu.
Thank you for your continued interest in Temple's innovative doctoral program. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Andrew T. Alexson, Ed.D.
Director, Ph.D. in Leadership
Steps for Successful Submittal of Your Application
- Application Form
Admissions Essay: As part of the application form, you will need to upload typed essay (double spaced, 5-10 pages) in which you:
1. present a reflective autobiographical statement that discusses what has led you to want to be a doctoral student in the Ph.D. in Leadership (include such aspects as your relevant work experience, personal and professional interests, capacity to initiate and self-direct your learning and other appropriate information)2. discuss how you believe this Ph.D. Program will enable you to become a more effective professional and principled leader in your field.
Research Oriented Writing Sample: As part of the application form, you will need to upload a research oriented writing sample. Keep in mind the following when preparing your writing sample:
1. The sample should reflect well the applicant's writing and research abilities. A research paper from graduate studies will suffice.
2. The writing sample should be recent and indicate an applicant's current skills at writing, not past skills.
3. One purpose for the writing sample is to investigate "research skills" (another component of doctoral study) that demonstrates the skill to utilize a writing style format (e.g. APA, MLA)
4. Another purpose for the writing sample is to observe the applicant's skills at doing quality library research and integrating published research into an academic paper.
- Three references (You will be given a link ( https://ttu.wufoo.com/forms/ph-d-recommendation-form-wr/ ) at the end of this application form to give to your references for completion. Should your reference not wish to use our link, letters of recommendation may be mailed to Ph. D in Leadership Program - 1815 Union Ave. - Chattanooga, TN 37404)
- Official School Transcripts (Please request one official transcript from each educational institution you have attended. All official transcripts must be received by the Ph. D Admissions office, unopened, directly from the college or university. Transcripts should be mailed to Ph. D in Leadership Program - 1815 Union Ave. - Chattanooga, TN 37404)
A TOEFL score of 80 for international students.
A $100 application fee (to be submitted upon completion of application form)
Center for Leadership Studies
|Comments from Recent Graduates||Letter from the Director|