The mission of Tennessee Temple University is to provide Christ-centered
higher education that transforms lives academically and spiritually for the glory of God.
Admissions Requirements for the Teacher Education Program
The following items are required for admission into the Teacher Education Department:
- Submit an applicationfor acceptance into the Teacher Education Program to the Chair of the Department of Teacher Education no later than the first semester of the sophomore year. (click here to download the application packet).
- Pass the PRAXIS I Test or be exempt from it. Students who make a composite score of 22 or higher on the Enhanced or Residual ACT or a composite score of 1530 or higher on the SAT I are exempt from the requirement to take the PRAXIS I Test. The test may be taken on computer at the Sylvan Learning Center or by paper and pencil at a regularly scheduled session by registering through the Education Testing Service (www.ets.org/praxis). This test should be taken as early as the freshman year if the student has an ACT composite of 18 or higher, or a comparable SAT score (860). If the score on any section of the ACT is lower than 18, the student should schedule an appointment with the Chair of the Teacher Education Department to prepare a plan for strengthening that area before taking the PRAXIS 1. (Testing information may be obtained in the Education Office.)
- Establish and maintain 2.5 grade point average (GPA) to remain in good standing in the teacher education program. PLEASE NOTE: Any junior or senior whose GP A falls below 2.5 may register for upper division education courses only with the approval of the Chair of the Department.
- Satisfactorily complete an interview with the Teacher Education Committee. Upon completion of 45 semester hours of course work and all other requirements as stated above, the department will make the final recommendation concerning admission to the teacher education program. A letter of acceptance into the teacher education program will be sent to the candidate upon satisfactory completion of the above requirements. This letter must be received from the Chair of the Department of Education. No candidate for the teacher education program is allowed to take professional education courses without this letter of acceptance.
The student is allowed to take the following education courses prior to admission to the teacher education program:
- EDUC-20l3 Planning to Teach
- EDUC-2033 Teaching Exceptional and Diverse Learners
- EDUC-3033 Philosophy of Education
Return to the Department of Teacher Education homepage.
Department of Teacher Education
|Program Admissions||Secondary Education|
|Status Sheets||TEP Advising Guides|